We all love an easy and quick pasta dish. This recipe uses staples of the pantry and fridge, which means it can be whipped up anytime. Perfect for the flat and family, as it is easy on the wallet. It cooks in 15 minutes or less (mise en place done and water boiling). It has neither cream nor milk. Only eggs and cheese to make it creamy and cheesy. It tastes so much better than store bought sauces that you silently marvel at its simplicity and wonder why you didn’t know this years earlier. Well in my case, I wondered out loud.
Better late than never, eat up!
- 400g spaghetti
- 250g prosciutto or streaky bacon, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 whole eggs and 2 yolks (save the whites for making macarons)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese, Parmesan, Edam, anything you like really!
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add a tablespoon of salt when the water starts to boil.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk eggs, a tiny tiny pinch of salt and the grated cheese. Set aside.
- Add the pasta to the water. When the pasta is nearly al dente, fry the diced prosciutto or bacon in a thick based pan until coloured. Add minced garlic and fry for another minute.
- Drain the pasta and put it in the pan together with the meat and stir to combine.
- Take the pan off the heat and pour in the cheese and egg mixture. Work quickly and keep mixing (I use a pair of tongs and the spatula) until the sauce is silky and clings to the pasta.
- Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.